Friday, June 6, 2008

W.I.P.-Project #1, Challenge #14


Well I finally started on my 1st project for challenge #14 in Jen Worden's Monthly Challenges. The book I am working through is "ALtered Curiosities" by Jane Wynn, and the project is called egg shrines. Before reading Jane's book I would never have thought of using an egg the way she has. It's pretty ingenious! I've been eating eggs every morning for years and I shudder to think of all those eggs shells I have thrown out! I mentioned to my husband to save egg shells he may use, because he does love to bake. Well, he looked at me and asked me if I was going to use them the same way his grandmother use to. Apparently she used to crush them up and place them in the garden. I have no idea how that works!
But anyway, when working on extracting your egg, make sure you have had breakfast already, because it took way too long to get that egg out for me to eat. I almost passed out from hunger!
It calls for 2-part Epoxy to coat the inside of the egg and I didn't have any, so I used E6000. It seemed to work okay. After the glue dried I then painted it with a copper metallic surfacer and that is where I am currently. I should have the finished product by the first of the week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! An egg? Boy, that is tiny. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

shebaduhkitty said...

We used to blow out the yolks and then fill them with confetti and paint the outsides... some German tradition I think. and I do put egg shells in my garden compost. along with lots of other food waste.

SO I know how much work that was! look forward to seeing the outcomes.