Wednesday, October 5, 2011

WIP - Pine Needles


This is one of the pieces I've been experimenting on with pine needles. I came across an artist at  one of the art shows last month and she was a basket weaver and she used these very long pine needles. Being originally from the Southwest, I had never seen such long needles. Their length ranges anywhere from 14"-16" long. So, I talked her into selling me a bundle and now I'm just thrilled to be working with them.  I also order some that have been dyed different colors, so I anxiously wait for their delivery.

6 comments:

jenclair said...

I really like this look! My great-aunt made pine needle baskets, and I treasure the one I have. It is almost a lost art.

My garden is full of pine needle mulch, and now I'm looking at it in a new way!

missy majchrzak buckley said...

Very cool , Carla. I love getting new materials to experiment with. Looks like fun!

stregata said...

Love this piece! It somehow looks as if it is exactly your style... does that make any sense? Looking forward to seeing you work with this new material.

lynda Howells said...

Carla l love this doll and l am with you..have never seen pine needles that long. wow! It is great to find materials we didn't know about and then realise we could use them. Exciting times!x

Folk Heart said...

I love this look, and isn't it fun to discover new things and be inspired to create? Nothing beats it! This is creativity at its best. Kudos!

realm of inspiration said...

Hi it is me, Cristina from quiensabeque, etsy.
your blog is amazing! I am in awe.........
just started looking but your pine needle creation
has me speechless even though I'm yammering on.
I love this!
peace.
cristina